I've broken /boot/device.hints

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Tue Apr 6 08:52:04 PDT 2004

On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 04:28:53PM +0100, Andy Holyer wrote:

> If I boot from floppies the emergency shell doesn't seem to include a
> copy of mount, so I can't rectify the fault.

Booting from alternate media is your simplest route to fixing things.

Are you sure there's no mount command on the fixit floppy?  You did
use the fixit disk (as you are prompted for by selecting 'Fixit' from
the top level menu of sysinstall, rather than just hitting Alt-F2 to
get into the emergency shell)?  Once you've got the fixit environment
enabled, you should be able to mount your drive and clean up the
device.hints file. You'll have to refer to mount by the full path:
/sbin/mount -- it would be an odd ommission if it isn't there.  Plus
you might have to use the ed(1) editor, as is traditional in this sort
of last-gasp recovery of a hosed system.

Failing the fixit floppy, next best would be to pull down one of the
disk2 .iso images and cut yourself a CD.  It's much the same deal as
the fixit floppy, except that with a 650Mb CD image to play with, you
get a full install of the OS.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way