I've broken /boot/device.hints

Andy Holyer andyh at hhbb.co.uk
Tue Apr 6 08:29:15 PDT 2004

I was trying to disable ACPI by editing device.hints, and left some
garbage at the start of the file. Now I find the kernel won't boot -
you get to the little Daemon flash page, and then kernel load goes on
and after the first line of boot, the star fails to spin.

I've got a spare copy of the root partition on /dev/ac1s1a but I can't
seem to boot from there.

This box is very unhappy with ACPI.

If I boot from floppies the emergency shell doesn't seem to include a
copy of mount, so I can't rectify the fault.

Is there an easy survival route?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

---
Andy Holyer, Technical stuff
Hedgehog Broadband, 11 Marlborough Place Brighton BN1 1UB
08451 260895 x 241