Kernel panic when machine runs for a few hours

Jorn Argelo jorn at wcborstel.nl
Mon Apr 5 11:08:11 PDT 2004

Hi all,

Recently, I've been experiencing lockups from my FreeBSD 5.2.1 machine. When
I'm doing my usual daily browsing, MSN, mail and music it just locks up. When
I look in my /var/log/messages, I see this:

Apr  5 15:11:25 sauron nmbd[471]: [2004/04/05 15:11:25, 0]
nmbd/nmbd_responserecordsdb.c:find_response_record(235)
Apr  5 15:11:25 sauron nmbd[471]:   find_response_record: response packet id
23590 received with no matching record.
Apr  5 15:11:28 sauron kernel: Warning: pid 539 used static ldt allocation.
Apr  5 15:11:28 sauron kernel: See the i386_set_ldt man page for more info
Apr  5 15:11:31 sauron kernel: Warning: pid 540 used static ldt allocation.
Apr  5 15:11:31 sauron kernel: See the i386_set_ldt man page for more info
Apr  5 15:11:37 sauron kernel: Warning: pid 565 used static ldt allocation.
Apr  5 15:11:37 sauron kernel: See the i386_set_ldt man page for more info
Apr  5 15:11:38 sauron kernel: Warning: pid 566 used static ldt allocation.
Apr  5 15:11:38 sauron kernel: See the i386_set_ldt man page for more info
Apr  5 15:11:39 sauron kernel: Warning: pid 568 used static ldt allocation.
Apr  5 15:11:39 sauron kernel: See the i386_set_ldt man page for more info
Apr  5 15:11:39 sauron kernel: Warning: pid 571 used static ldt allocation.
Apr  5 15:11:39 sauron kernel: See the i386_set_ldt man page for more info
Apr  5 15:11:39 sauron kernel: Warning: pid 570 used static ldt allocation.
Apr  5 15:11:40 sauron kernel: See the i386_set_ldt man page for more info
Apr  5 15:11:40 sauron kernel: Warning: pid 576 used static ldt allocation.
Apr  5 15:11:40 sauron kernel: See the i386_set_ldt man page for more info
Apr  5 15:11:41 sauron kernel: Warning: pid 579 used static ldt allocation.
Apr  5 15:11:42 sauron kernel: See the i386_set_ldt man page for more info
Apr  5 15:12:18 sauron kernel: netsmb_dev: loaded
Apr  5 15:13:50 sauron kernel: smb_maperror: Unmapped error 1:158
Apr  5 15:13:53 sauron last message repeated 8 times
Apr  5 15:18:11 sauron kernel: smb_maperror: Unmapped error 1:158
Apr  5 15:18:44 sauron last message repeated 1076 times
Apr  5 15:36:39 sauron kernel: smb_maperror: Unmapped error 1:158
Apr  5 15:36:47 sauron last message repeated 25 times
Apr  5 18:00:33 sauron kernel: smb_maperror: Unmapped error 1:158
Apr  5 19:49:05 sauron syslogd: kernel boot file is /boot/kernel/kernel
Apr  5 19:49:05 sauron kernel:
Apr  5 19:49:05 sauron kernel:
Apr  5 19:49:05 sauron kernel: Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
Apr  5 19:49:05 sauron kernel: fault virtual address    = 0x0
Apr  5 19:49:05 sauron kernel: fault code               = supervisor read,
page not present
Apr  5 19:49:05 sauron kernel: instruction pointer      = 0x8:0x0
Apr  5 19:49:05 sauron kernel: stack pointer            = 0x10:0xcdcaba10
Apr  5 19:49:05 sauron kernel: frame pointer            = 0x10:0xcdcaba34
Apr  5 19:49:05 sauron kernel: code segment             = base 0x0, limit
0xfffff, type 0x1b
Apr  5 19:49:05 sauron kernel: = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
Apr  5 19:49:05 sauron kernel: processor eflags = interrupt enabled, resume,
IOPL = 0
Apr  5 19:49:05 sauron kernel: current process          = 28 (swi8: tty:sio
clock)
Apr  5 19:49:05 sauron kernel: trap number              = 12
Apr  5 19:49:05 sauron kernel: panic: page fault
Apr  5 19:49:05 sauron kernel:
Apr  5 19:49:05 sauron kernel: syncing disks, buffers remaining... 2200 2200

I've always had the above mentioned problems (the smb_maperror and the pid
warnings), but I never experienced any problems with it, so I figured it
wasn't really a bad thing.

I'm playing my MP3's from my server, and I mount them with mount_smbfs. Since
the machine was running for a few hours, it'll return quite some errors as
you can see. The pid errors belong to several things of KDM (kdeinit mostly)

I did compile the kernel myself, so perhaps I made a mistake with that. I'll
post my kernel configuration as well:

machine         i386
cpu             I686_CPU
ident           smeagol

options         SCHED_4BSD              #4BSD scheduler
options         FFS                     #Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options         SOFTUPDATES             #Enable FFS soft updates support
options         UFS_ACL                 #Support for access control lists
options         UFS_DIRHASH             #Improve performance on big
directories
options         MD_ROOT                 #MD is a potential root device
options         INET
options         NFSCLIENT               #Network Filesystem Client
options         NFS_ROOT                #NFS usable as /, requires NFSCLIENT
options         MSDOSFS                 #MSDOS Filesystem
options         CD9660                  #ISO 9660 Filesystem
options         PROCFS                  #Process filesystem (requires
PSEUDOFS)
options         PSEUDOFS                #Pseudo-filesystem framework
options         COMPAT_43               #Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP THIS!]
options         COMPAT_FREEBSD4         #Compatible with FreeBSD4
options         SCSI_DELAY=15000        #Delay (in ms) before probing SCSI
options         KTRACE                  #ktrace(1) support
options         SYSVSHM                 #SYSV-style shared memory
options         SYSVMSG                 #SYSV-style message queues
options         SYSVSEM                 #SYSV-style semaphores
options         _KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING #Posix P1003_1B real-time
extensions
options         KBD_INSTALL_CDEV        # install a CDEV entry in /dev
options         AHC_REG_PRETTY_PRINT    # Print register bitfields in debug
                                        # output.  Adds ~128k to driver.
options         AHD_REG_PRETTY_PRINT    # Print register bitfields in debug
                                        # output.  Adds ~215k to driver.
options         PFIL_HOOKS              # pfil(9) framework

#options        DDB                     #Enable the kernel debugger
#options        INVARIANTS              #Enable calls of extra sanity checking
options         INVARIANT_SUPPORT       #Extra sanity checks of internal
structures, required by INVARIANTS
#options        WITNESS                 #Enable checks to detect deadlocks and
cycles
#options        WITNESS_SKIPSPIN        #Don't run witness on spinlocks for
speed

device          isa
device          pci

# ATA and ATAPI devices
device          ata
device          atapicam                # SCSI emulation
device          atadisk                 # ATA disk drives
device          atapicd                 # ATAPI CDROM drives
device          atapifd                 # ATAPI floppy drives
options         ATA_STATIC_ID           #Static device numbering

# SCSI perhiperals

device          scbus           # SCSI bus (required for SCSI)
device          ch              # SCSI media changers
device          da              # Direct Access (disks)
device          cd              # CD
device          pass            # Passthrough device (direct SCSI access)
device          ses             # SCSI Environmental Services (and SAF-TE)

# atkbdc0 controls both the keyboard and the PS/2 mouse
device          atkbdc          # AT keyboard controller
device          atkbd           # AT keyboard
device          psm             # PS/2 mouse

device          vga             # VGA video card driver

# syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
device          sc

# Enable this for the pcvt (VT220 compatible) console driver
#device         vt
#options        XSERVER                 # support for X server on a vt console
#options        FAT_CURSOR              # start with block cursor

device          agp             # support several AGP chipsets

# Floating point support - do not disable.
device          npx

# Power management support (see NOTES for more options)
#device         apm
# Add suspend/resume support for the i8254.
device          pmtimer

# Serial (COM) ports
device          sio             # 8250, 16[45]50 based serial ports

# Parallel port
device          ppc
device          ppbus           # Parallel port bus (required)
device          lpt             # Printer
#device          plip            # TCP/IP over parallel
device          ppi             # Parallel port interface device
#device         vpo             # Requires scbus and da

# If you've got a "dumb" serial or parallel PCI card that is
# supported by the puc(4) glue driver, uncomment the following
# line to enable it (connects to the sio and/or ppc drivers):
#device         puc

# PCI Ethernet NICs that use the common MII bus controller code.
# NOTE: Be sure to keep the 'device miibus' line in order to use these NICs!
device          miibus          # MII bus support
device          rl              # RealTek 8129/8139

# Pseudo devices - the number indicates how many units to allocate.
device          random          # Entropy device
device          loop            # Network loopback
device          ether           # Ethernet support
device          sl              # Kernel SLIP
device          ppp             # Kernel PPP
device          tun             # Packet tunnel.
device          pty             # Pseudo-ttys (telnet etc)
device          md              # Memory "disks"

# The `bpf' device enables the Berkeley Packet Filter.
# Be aware of the administrative consequences of enabling this!
device          bpf             # Berkeley packet filter

# USB support
device          uhci            # UHCI PCI->USB interface
device          ohci            # OHCI PCI->USB interface
device          usb             # USB Bus (required)
#device         udbp            # USB Double Bulk Pipe devices
device          ugen            # Generic
device          uhid            # "Human Interface Devices"
device          ukbd            # Keyboard
device          ulpt            # Printer
device          umass           # Disks/Mass storage - Requires scbus and da
device          ums             # Mouse
device          urio            # Diamond Rio 500 MP3 player
device          uscanner        # Scanners
# USB Ethernet, requires mii
device          aue             # ADMtek USB ethernet
device          axe             # ASIX Electronics USB ethernet
device          cue             # CATC USB ethernet
device          kue             # Kawasaki LSI USB ethernet

# FireWire support
device          firewire        # FireWire bus code
device          sbp             # SCSI over FireWire (Requires scbus and da)
device          fwe             # Ethernet over FireWire (non-standard!)

# Multimedia support

device          pcm
device          sbc

I would be really grateful if any of you guys could help me with this. My
machine has been rock-solid for a few months, and now it starts to lock up
frequently. It's rather frustrating.

Cheers,

Jorn.