pkgdb -F issues

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Mon Apr 5 04:18:33 PDT 2004

On Mon, Apr 05, 2004 at 08:24:40PM +0930, Brian Astill wrote:
> Before a fairly major system upgrade I have done "portsdb -Uu" and
> "pkgdb -F".  Next step, upgrade portupgrade, which entails doing smart
> things to also painlessly upgrade to ruby 1.8.  BUT ..
>
> I must have misunderstood what pkgdb requires when it asks about stale
> dependencies because at the penultimate stage:
>  #portupgrade -f lang/ruby18
> Stale dependency: ruby-1.8.1_2 --> openssl-0.9.7d -- manually run 'pkgdb
> -F' to fix, or specify -O to force.
>
> I had already DONE pkgdb -F  :-(
> Tried pkgdb -Fu, which rebuilt the database, but it made no difference.
> Incidentally there IS no "O" option for pkgdb listed in the docs.
>
> Looked diligently for detailed guidance on pkgdb (Complete FBSD 3rd &
> 4th Eds, Handbook, man page, FBSD Diary) but found nothing very
> helpful.  The Diary " As near as I can tell, this is more art than
> science." and  "Or you can just "know". were MOST discouraging. :-(
>
> Can someone please point me in the right direction?
> Thanks.

Well, the dependency on openssl-0.9.7d indicates you've installed
openssl via ports.  Perhaps.  However, openssl-0.9.7d was imported
into 4-STABLE over the weekend, and it's been in 5-CURRENT for a
couple of weeks.  Which means that if you're going to be updating to
the latest 4-STABLE you can delete any openssl port[*] you've got
installed and also delete that dependency.

You can also delete that dependency if you've never installed openssl
from ports and have no intention of doing so -- so long as you're up
to date with the security patches, you'll be running a version of
openssl with all of the known holes patched, even if it doesn't carry
absolutely the latest version number.

Otherwise, you should be able to just update the security/openssl port
(which will get you openssl-0.9.7d nowadays) and everything will be
back to normal.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

[*] Lest this leads to much wailing and gnashing of teeth, I should
stress here that you'll also have to recompile any ports that link
against the OpenSSL shlibs so that they pick up the shlibs from the
base system.

                                                      Savill Way