KDE and continued sound issues.

Eric F Crist ecrist at adtechintegrated.com
Sun Apr 4 09:36:19 PDT 2004

Hello list,

I upgraded to KDE 3.2.1 about 3 months ago or so.  Ever since, sound
occaisionally crashes with an error along the lines of:

Sound Error:

/dev/dsp busy.  Using /dev/null

I re-installed kde via portupgrade last week, and I don't get the error as
often, but I do still get it.  Yesterday I used my sound all day, and it
never crashed.  I rebooted into Windows, did what I had to do, came back to
freebsd, and sound crashed right away.

I've tried grepping dsp in the output of lsof, but I get nothing.  I've looked
through the entire output and didn't see anything that looked like it would
have to do with locking my sound card.

1) How do I fix this so it stops crashing?

		-or-

2) How can I freeup my sound device (/dev/dsp) so I can utilize sound without
a reboot?

FYI, I'm using FreeBSD 4.9:
FreeBSD nomad 4.9-STABLE FreeBSD 4.9-STABLE #10: Thu Feb 19 23:08:11 CST 2004
root at nomad:/usr/src/sys/compile/NOMAD  i386

TIA
--
Eric F Crist
AdTech Integrated Systems, Inc