Changing from POP3 server to IMAP server

Gary gv-list-freebsdquestions at mygirlfriday.info
Mon Sep 29 13:44:15 PDT 2003

--On Monday, September 29, 2003 01:25:46 PM -0700 Naveen Glore
<freebsdsl1 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have a freeBSD server. Currently I am using POP3 server with MS outlook
> as mail client. I would like to change POP3 to IMAP so that i can have a
> centralized email system.

They are two separate protocols. What you need is an IMAP server. You
can leave your POP server on too if you wish. You can have both.

> Could anyone suggest me some good documentation for converting POP3
> to IMAP. Please let me know if there are any important things i need
> to keep in mind while making that change.

The docs come with the type of IMAP server you wish to use. I would
classify IMAP servers as to how they handle your mail. Some like UW
uses, I believe, mbox format. Cyrus uses its own format, and I believe
can convert mbox format to its own.  If you currently run Maildir
format type mail, there are two that come to mind, Bincimap and
Courier..

--
Gary