ports on a CD

Andrew L. Gould algould at datawok.com
Tue Sep 23 09:28:53 PDT 2003

On Tuesday 23 September 2003 11:04 am, Tadimeti Keshav wrote:
>  --- Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org> wrote: > On
> Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 12:59:30AM +0100, Tadimeti
>
> > Keshav wrote:
> > > Guys,
> > > Is it possible to get all of the ports on a CD
> >
> > set?
> >
> > > This is one area where Linux fares better. Debian
> > > offers a 7 CD (OK they don'y make ISOs) set that
> > > contains all packages.
> >
> > What are you really asking here?  First you ask for
> > ports (but the
> > ports collection is on CD1), then you say debian
> > includes packages on
> > their CDs (so does FreeBSD).
>
> Well, remember that the ports collection is nothing
> but the skeleton that can connect to the internet and
> fetch the source files that you can compile. What I
> was asking for is the facility to have all the sources
> of all the ports on the CD. (SO you needn't connect to
> the internet to build your machine).
>
> > > I think the FreeBSD distribution would be better
> >
> > off
> >
> > > having all ports on the 2 additional CDs rather
> >
> > than
> >
> > > have packages.
> >
> > Now you say "ports rather than packages", when both
> > are shipped.
> >
> > Can you please clarify what you are asking?
> >
> > Kris
>
> Debian ships all DEB packages on the CDs. FreeBSD only
> bundles some packages. For example, JDK is a port
> while vim is a package. Would it not be better to cut
> down on several packages of large size and ship the CD
> with the sources needed to compile JDK etc. Hope U get
> the point.

1.  JDK was not available as a package due to licensing restrictions.  License
restrictions also require end users to download the source directly from Sun.
I **think** JDK 1.3 is now available as a package (having met certain
licensing restrictions); but if you want to compile from source, you still
need to download the source directly from Sun.

2.  FreeBSD packages are available on CD's and DVD's from a couple of sources:
     http://www.freebsdmall.com/cgi-bin/fm
     http://www.unixdvd.com/
     http://www.freebsd-services.com/

     A longer list of FreeBSD vendors can be found at:
     http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/mirrors.html

3.  Everything mentioned in #2 above can be found **easily** via the "Getting
FreeBSD" link on the home page of the FreeBSD website.

Best of luck,

Andrew Gould