ports on a CD

Kris Kennaway kris at obsecurity.org
Tue Sep 23 09:25:13 PDT 2003

On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 05:04:59PM +0100, Tadimeti Keshav wrote:

> > What are you really asking here?  First you ask for
> > ports (but the
> > ports collection is on CD1), then you say debian
> > includes packages on
> > their CDs (so does FreeBSD).
> >
> Well, remember that the ports collection is nothing
> but the skeleton that can connect to the internet and
> fetch the source files that you can compile. What I
> was asking for is the facility to have all the sources
> of all the ports on the CD. (SO you needn't connect to
> the internet to build your machine).

The full set of distfiles takes up 15GB, i.e. about 21 CDs.  Is that
really practical? ;-)

See however the FreeBSD PowerPak sold by FreeBSDMall.com.

> > > I think the FreeBSD distribution would be better
> > off
> > > having all ports on the 2 additional CDs rather
> > than
> > > have packages.
> >
> > Now you say "ports rather than packages", when both
> > are shipped.
> >
> > Can you please clarify what you are asking?
> >
> > Kris
> Debian ships all DEB packages on the CDs.

I doubt it.

> FreeBSD only
> bundles some packages. For example, JDK is a port
> while vim is a package.

JDK may not be packaged due to the restrictive license on the
software.  The same is true for most of the other ports that are not
packaged (other reasons include that the port is broken or forbidden
because it contains a security vulnerability).

Also, a full package set is about 5GB (for i386), which would take
about 7 CDs.  Again, not really practical.

> Would it not be better to cut
> down on several packages of large size and ship the CD
> with the sources needed to compile JDK etc.

No, because we would be sued by Sun.

Kris