Patching SSH

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Thu Sep 18 04:38:14 PDT 2003

On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 04:01:40PM -0800, Jon Reynolds wrote:
> I have SSH installed with the base install of 4.7. I downloaded the
> patch and followed the directions: cd /usr/src - patch < /path/to/patch.
> when I issue that command it asks me which file I would like to patch I
> type in buffer.c and it tells me this file cannot be found. What file do
> I need to patch if not buffer.c?

If that is an otherwise unpatched 4.7-RELEASE system, then there are
more security patches to apply than just the latest fun'n'games with
openssh.

The simplest way to get a fully patched source tree is to use cvsup(1)
with a sup-file like this (should be substantially the same as
/usr/share/examples/cvsup/standard-supfile):

    *default host=cvsup7.us.FreeBSD.org
    *default base=/usr
    *default prefix=/usr
    *default release=cvs tag=RELENG_4_7
    *default delete use-rel-suffix
    *default compress

    src-all

Then either do a complete build,install world+kernel or just rebuild
the selected parts of the source tree as intructed in the security
advisories.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way