I need help getting a desktop working.

Jud judmarc at fastmail.fm
Sat Sep 13 12:23:04 PDT 2003

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 12:31:19 -0400, Bob Hall <rjhjr at cox.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 02:49:51PM -0700, exodus at resist.ca wrote:
>> Dear Freebsd,
>>

>>    I have installed freebsd 4.4 (the ones that came with the manual.) I
>
> Which manual is that? There's a paper version of the handbook, but that
> doesn't come with a CD. I know that "FreeBSD Unleashed" comes with a
> copy of 4.4, but that is not "the manual".
>
>> got it all installed correctly but when i log in freebsd it leaves me
>> at a dos like screen with a $. I want to know how to get a desktop
>> working (the quickest way.) Thank you for your time.
>
> If you haven't installed X-windows, install it. If you don't know how
> to install it, su to root (type "su" at the $ prompt, and enter the root
> password), and type "/stand/sysinstall". Follow the instructions. By
> default, X-windows is installed with the twm window manager. At the "$"
> prompt, type "startx".  That's the quickest route to a working desktop.

- though with twm, that'll be a *barely* working desktop.  :)  You may
want to install a window manager that's a bit more intuitive - Windowmaker
might be a good one to start off with.  A good tutorial on installing a
window manager can be found here: <URL:
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2000/06/21/FreeBSD_Basics.html>

Jud