Trying to secure PostgreSQL

Kirk Strauser kirk at strauser.com
Fri Sep 12 16:01:29 PDT 2003

At 2003-09-12T22:36:43Z, alexander v p <alex at big-blue.net> writes:

> look in /usr/local/pgsql/data/pg_hba.conf
> by default is:
>
> local   all         all                                             trust
> host    all         all         127.0.0.1         255.255.255.255   trust
>
> what you have to do is to change trust into password or md5
> hope that helps
> alex
> p.s. restart postgres after you change the conf file.

But when I do that, I'm prompted to enter the password for 'pgsql' whenever
I start the service.  That's pretty inconvenient when it's part of the boot
process; the system would be effectively hung until I accessed the box,
entered the password, and let the init sequence finish.

I'd read of people coming up with a mechanism to pipe a password from some
(hopefully) secure file on the system into the password prompt.  Is that
really the best way to handle this?
--
Kirk Strauser