Upgrading self-installed X with Ports version?

Jesse Sheidlower jester at panix.com
Tue Sep 9 07:00:36 PDT 2003

A year and a half ago I installed FreeBSD on a laptop. I've
entirely forgotten the details, but I had to install XFree86
from scratch because I needed a version that was newer than
whatever was in Ports at the time. (The chip is an ATI
Mobility Radeon; I installed XFree86 4.2.)

I recently tried to upgrade X by installing it from Ports,
and thought I had succeeded, as pkg_info and so forth are
reporting that XFree86-4.3.0,1 is installed. However, I'm
still running 4.2, as executing "XFree86 -version" informs
me.

I suppose this is a really stupid question, but what do I
need to do to get the newer, Ports version of XFree86 to be
the version run on the system? And is there anything I should
be doing to get it configured properly after the change is
made?

Thanks very much.

Jesse Sheidlower