Soundblaster Live! on FreeBSD 4.8?

paul beard paulbeard at mac.com
Sun Sep 7 20:33:38 PDT 2003

Adam McLaurin wrote:
> On Sun, 2003-09-07 at 19:20, fireal at earthlink.net wrote:
>
>> My understanding is that SBLive cards are not supported, and
>> if you get one to work you're lucky.  Is this correct, or
>> should they work with no problem?  Is there anything I can
>> try, or are there any resources to check?
>

> This is incorrect. My SB Live has worked just fine on 4.6.2,
> 4.7, 4.8, and 5.1. I didn't do anything outside of what the
> handbook instructed me to do.
>
> I'd be suspicious of artsd causing you problems. I've heard of
> this before, but I don't know the solution. Check the mailing
> list archives.

The SBlive is fine with FreeBSD: I also had troubles when I was
running KDE (unloading/reloading the pcm driver would lock up and
reboot my system).

Try a different window manager or just try running a command line
audio program before loading KDE/Xwindows and see how you get on.
I found that artsd didn't always play well with others . . . .

--
Paul Beard
<http://paulbeard.no-ip.org/movabletype/>

"He was so narrow minded he could see through a keyhole with both
eyes ..."