Bootable CD Problems

MacMan20001 macman20001 at mac.com
Sun Sep 7 10:48:31 PDT 2003

Hello.

I'm trying to build a bootable BSD 4.8 CD. Nothing fancy, just a
shell and maybe a few utilities, but I have a specific problem.

Whenever I boot from the CD, the computer asks for the root
filesystem. I point it toward the CD (cd9660:acd0), but it hangs on
"Mounting root from cd9660:acd0...". My guess is that it can't find
the mfsroot file. So, I tried all the possibilities: a zipped and
unzipped file, upper and lower case filename, upper and lower case
listing in /boot/loader.conf, and nothign worked. Does anyone know
the proper way the mfsroot file should be done, or another problem
that could be causing this?

I have /sbin/init on the disk, and rc didn't load; I inserted 'echo
"rc loaded."' into the rc file, and didn't get any messages.

Any help would be nice, and I wil answer what questions I can about this.
--
Signed,
Dan Harrison