Sendmail is sleepy

Adam McLaurin blueeskimo at gmx.net
Wed Sep 3 09:05:36 PDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-09-03 at 10:32, Charles Howse wrote:
> Hi,
> When I boot, I get what I assume are timeouts when loading sendmail.
>
> Sendmail_submit
> My unqualified hostname (larry) unknown; sleeping for retry
> Unable to qualify my hostname, using short name
>
> Sendmail-clientmqueue
> My unqualified hostname (larry) unknown; sleeping for retry
> Unable to qualify my hostname, using short name
>
> How can I make these go away?

Hi Charles,
I have had this problems on both my FreeBSD boxes as well, and never
found a good solution.

Here is the relevant parts of my rc.conf:
sendmail_enable="NONE"
sendmail_outbound_enable="NO"
sendmail_submit_enable="NO"
sendmail_msp_queue_enable="NO"
hostname="jake"

Here's my periodic.conf:
daily_clean_hoststat_enable="NO"
daily_status_mail_rejects_enable="NO"                                      daily_status_include_submit_mailq="NO"
daily_submit_queuerun="NO"

Here is my hosts file:
::1                     localhost localhost.my.domain
127.0.0.1               localhost localhost.my.domain
127.0.0.1               jake
192.168.56.5            elwood

Now for some permissions:

-$ ls -al /usr/sbin/mailwrapper
-r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  5432 Aug 13 10:20 /usr/sbin/mailwrapper

-$ ls -al /usr/sbin/sendmail
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  21 Aug 13 10:20 /usr/sbin/sendmail ->
/usr/sbin/mailwrapper

You will see the solution that I found (chmod a-x
/usr/sbin/mailwrapper). This is a dirty hack, but it did the trick. I
don't use sendmail at all.

Let me know if you find a proper solution for this.

--
Adam McLaurin <blueeskimo at gmx.net>