disappearing email?

Chris Howells lists at chrishowells.co.uk
Wed Oct 29 10:45:27 PST 2003

> I seem to have found the answer to my own question. Apparently, when
> anyone
> is connected to AOL, AOL overrides any SMTP settings the user has. Below
> are
> headers from a client of mine that was sent to me using a pop account on
> our
> server, with the SMTP in OE set to our server:

In the UK, The Planet, who area  major virtual ISP for various household
ISPs do a similar trick, basically any traffic on port 25 automatically
gets proxied (don't know if that's the exact terminology, but that's the
effect) through their mail server -- I guess they claim that it helps them
track spam or whatever.

You could either run your smtp daemon on a different port (nasty) or use
ssh port forwarding (also nasty).

Cheers
Chris Howells