rsync help

M.D. DeWar mark at s-wit.net
Mon Oct 27 08:55:02 PST 2003

I would like to backup some website directorys on one machine to another
machine.
I have read the rsync man pages and some sites but am still confused about
how the command line should be.
I will only run it from the command line every so often.

I have tried several ways but can't figure it out. I guess I am having
issues with how the directories should be listed on the command line.

One the server that is to be backed up the directory is
/home/sites/www.domain.com/web - all files and other directories are below
the /web  and in reading it seemed I should keep the trailing slash off.

on the server that the files will be copied to the directory is
/home/domain/website/
If I understood right the trailing slash should be on this one.

./rsync -ae ssh
newbiedummy at servertobebackedup.com:/home/sites/www.domain.com/web
/home/domain/website/

am I even close to being right ?