portupgrade auto deinstall+reinstall?

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Fri Oct 24 10:54:11 PDT 2003

On Friday 24 October 2003 10:41 am, Jesse Guardiani wrote:
> Howdy list,
>
> Sorry if this is an obvious question, but I didn't
> find anything in the portupgrade manpage.
>
> I'm in the process of upgrading the ports on my 5.1-RELEASE
> laptop, and I just executed the following command:
>
> portupgrade -R 'grip*'
>
> And it's giving me the following message:

> ===>  Checking if x11/libgnome already installed
> ===>   An older version of x11/libgnome is already installed
> (libgnome-2.2.0.1) You may wish to ``make deinstall'' and install this port
> again by ``make reinstall'' to upgrade it properly.
>       If you really wish to overwrite the old port of x11/libgnome
>       without deleting it first, set the variable "FORCE_PKG_REGISTER"
>       in your environment or the "make install" command line.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/ports/x11/libgnome.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Now, I know how to get around this manually:
>
> pkg_delete -f 'libgnome-*'
>
> And then rerun `portupgrade -R 'grip*'`.
>
> However, is there a way to automate this process? It's
> happened three times already on this one port, and I'm
> getting a bit annoyed. I was hoping it would be done
> the first time I came back from lunch. :)
>
> Thanks!

You can use -Rf but that will update everything that is a dependancy for grip.
What you did is probably much faster than that :). That includes the time you
spent eating lunch.

I come from the programming world and to update a library and not update the
codes that use it really bothers me. I do what you did but I keep thinking
about all of the problems that I could be causing.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA