portupgrade auto deinstall+reinstall?

Jesse Guardiani jesse at wingnet.net
Fri Oct 24 10:41:58 PDT 2003

Howdy list,

Sorry if this is an obvious question, but I didn't
find anything in the portupgrade manpage.

I'm in the process of upgrading the ports on my 5.1-RELEASE
laptop, and I just executed the following command:

portupgrade -R 'grip*'

And it's giving me the following message:

===>  Checking if x11/libgnome already installed
===>   An older version of x11/libgnome is already installed (libgnome-2.2.0.1)
      You may wish to ``make deinstall'' and install this port again
      by ``make reinstall'' to upgrade it properly.
      If you really wish to overwrite the old port of x11/libgnome
      without deleting it first, set the variable "FORCE_PKG_REGISTER"
      in your environment or the "make install" command line.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/x11/libgnome.
*** Error code 1

Now, I know how to get around this manually:

pkg_delete -f 'libgnome-*'

And then rerun `portupgrade -R 'grip*'`.

However, is there a way to automate this process? It's
happened three times already on this one port, and I'm
getting a bit annoyed. I was hoping it would be done
the first time I came back from lunch. :)

Thanks!

--
Jesse Guardiani, Systems Administrator
WingNET Internet Services,