Trying to see website from the Internet

Paul Everlund tdv94ped at cs.umu.se
Tue Oct 21 13:22:11 PDT 2003

Micke P wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm having all kinds of trouble trying to get things
> set up to see my website on the Internet. I know
> people like to claim to be newbies, but I actually am.
> :-)
>
> My machine (ethernet card) IP is 192.168.254.25 and
> I'm serving on port 8080. I can bring up the site no
> problem on my LAN- http://192.168.254.25:8080/, but
> not outside.
>
> My ISP is earthlink and it's a dynamic IP account.
> Right now the WAN IP is: 68.164.84.178. Trying
> http://68.164.84.178:8080/ doesn't work. I've opened
> the port, 8080, on the router.

Right now the IP is 68.164.84.178? This is not an direct
answer to your question, but if you're using a dynamic
IP I suggest you go to, for an example DynDNS, and get
a name for your site. After that you should install
some kind of daemon that updates (in this case) DynDNS
to reflect your dynamic IP-changes. In that way you
should always be able to connect to your box!

But all that I guess you've already figured out. :-)

> What should I look at to solve this? I have
> unsuccessfully scoured the complete freebsd book,
> handbook, and archives. But haven't found anything to
> address this specific problem yet, although it seems
> straightforward. If you think I don't understand
> networks exactly, you are correct; but it's not for
> lack of trying.
>
> Thanks for help,
> Micke

Best regards,