uucp + email...

Bill Campbell freebsd at celestial.com
Thu Oct 9 18:09:43 PDT 2003

On Thu, Oct 09, 2003, Chris P wrote:
>Hello,

>> My main question is whether the mail got dumped out of the queue on the
>> remote uucp host or on his machine locally?  The uuclean routines on most
>> uucp hosts nukes expired messages completely, and doesn't move it to
>> another directory where it can be retrieved.
>
>Its on a remote host, and was dumped into a uucp que.  I'm not real
>familiar with it.  However I know it cannot be re-qued in email.
>
>Basically my machine was on a wireless link, and the link went down.  When
>I found out about it (I'm about 400 miles from my machine right now) I had
>a friend update his mmx to collect it for uucp download later on.   Now I
>have the machine on a T1 and need to figure out how to get the mail to my
>machine, and get it all delivered to the proper addresses.  Sooooo from
>what I have heard I can use uucp locally to login to the remote machine,
>and get the mail (over 50 megs) dumped into my machines sendmail que.

If your machine's now able to get mail normally to an internet mail
address, your friend could probably tweak his configuration to use
uureroute to resend your mail to your new address or you could configure
uucp on your system to query his machine to pick up your mail.  The steps
necessary to configure your machine vary depending the MTA (Mail Transport
Agent) you're using.  Using postfix, it's not very difficult although I
must admit that I've been using smail-3.2 on all our uucp machines, largely
because that's what I've been using for about 13 years, and it don't have
to learn how to configure postfix.

The basics are that you need to configure uucp on your system to call his
(connect via uucp over tcp), and have an rmail program that will feed the
incoming uucp mail into your MTA.  The most important thing is to know
exactly what e-mail address the remote uux process is going to feed to your
system so your MTA knows where to deliver it on your end.  You have to know
this before you make the connection or your machine is liable to just dump
the incoming mail in the bit bucket as undeliverable.

>> The Taylor uucp contrib directory has an old uureroute script that I wrote
>> years ago that can be used to go through uucp queues to remail messages
>> where delivery methods have changed.
>>
>> Bill
>
>Sorry about the multiple messages, I have a different problem with dns
>that is fixed now.
>
>Thanks for your help!  The man pages, and everything I found online does
>not seem to help much.
>C.

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill at Celestial.COM  Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC

``Perhaps, when committing your first federal crime, it would be unwise to
slap your name and address on it and mail it to 10,000 people.'' --Dogbert