IPsec with racoon

rduvall at onlinehighways.net rduvall at onlinehighways.net
Tue Oct 7 14:06:32 PDT 2003

Is the external IP address of your VPN device an internet routable IP address?
I know that if you are on an ADSL without static IP (like Qwest or MSN adsl) the
IP address that is automatically assigned via DHCP by the DSL modem is private
IP space, and therefore your VPN will not work.  I resorted to getting an
Alcatel Speedtouch USB modem and plugging it into a FreeBSD box for my Qwest MSN
and set my VPN to go between the 2 FreeBSD boxes.  This gave my firewall/gateway
a real IP address.  Granted, it is dynamic and I have to change my vpn every
time my IP address get's re-negotiated, but at least it works.  I am trying to
figure out a way to dynamicly change the VPN config on both ends when ppp comes
up so I don't have to do it manually.

Sincerely,

Rick Duvall