port install to jail root from host system

Pat Lashley patl+freebsd at volant.org
Sat Oct 4 10:31:44 PDT 2003

--On Wednesday, October 01, 2003 15:12:42 +0200 Felix 'buebo' Kakrow
<biernot at buebo.de> wrote:

>> I've compiled a port as normal (apache13 in this case).  I'd like to run
>> 'make install' now and tell it to install the package to the base of the
>> root filesystem of a jail from the jail's host.  Possibly also to skip
>> registering it in the host's package database.
>>
>> Does anyone know an easy way to do this with the ports system?
>>

> In this situation I like it to mount the /usr/ports via nullfs in my Jail
> Directory and build the Port directly in the Jail. However you'll have to
> have a more or less complete system (at least gcc + all needet build
> dependencies) in the Jail. As a plus you don't have to worry about
> package registrations and stuff like this, but I'm just another newbie so
> probally somebody will come up with another and better way ;)

Another option is to build and package the port(s) outside the jail.
Then nullfs mount /usr/ports in the jail directory and install
the port(s) from the package(s).

The downside of this approach is that the port needs to be installed
on the host system to build the package.  If you have multiple virtual
host jails which are basicly identical in configuration; you might
want to consider setting up one to build the packages in instead of
building them on the host system. (And then install from packages in
the other jails.)

-Pat