update confusion 4.8-STABLE to STABLE = 4.9-PRERELEASE !?

JacobRhoden jrhoden at unimelb.edu.au
Thu Oct 2 03:14:29 PDT 2003

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 07:55 pm, Alin-Adrian Anton wrote:
> Ok got it. So the name -STABLE does not necessary mean the system is
> more stable than a PRERELEASE? I don't think a few security patches
> shall bring the system in an unstable state. And if the pathes are
> installed, the system name will remain 4.8-STABLE, not 4.9-PRERELEASE.
> The advisories said to update to STABLE, so I did, and I got
> 4.9-PRERELEASE. That is the new 'name' for STABLE?

If I understand things correctly, There is a code branch for each major
version of freebsd, ie RELENG_3, RELENG_4, etc, etc. Updates get applied to
RELENG_4, and then snapshots are taken from that, so from RELENG_4, you get
RELENG_4_8 and upcoming RELENG_4_9 and so on.

You may wish to read http://www.freebsd.org/releases/4.9R/schedule.html for
details of how the "STABLE" (that is RELENG_4) turns into the upcoming
4.9-RELEASE.

Regards,
Jacob