update confusion 4.8-STABLE to STABLE = 4.9-PRERELEASE !?

Alin-Adrian Anton aanton at reversedhell.net
Thu Oct 2 02:55:35 PDT 2003

JacobRhoden wrote:

>RELENG_4 has had various names over the past year or so... The name changes
>over time. If you think about it 4.9-PRERELEASE and 4.9-RELEASE for that
>matter are just snapshots/images of the 4.x branch at a certian date.
>
>    4.7-RC ... 4.7-PRERELEASE ...  4.7-STABLE .... 4.8-RC .... and so on
>
>On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 07:29 pm, Alin-Adrian Anton wrote:
>

>>*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_4
>>#*default release=cvs tag=.
>>

>>Is the updating to 4.9-PRERELEASE a normal behaviour intended by the
>>Team, or is it a bug in cvsup client make it interpret commented line

>JacobRhoden -- http://rhoden.id.au/

Ok got it. So the name -STABLE does not necessary mean the system is
more stable than a PRERELEASE? I don't think a few security patches
shall bring the system in an unstable state. And if the pathes are
installed, the system name will remain 4.8-STABLE, not 4.9-PRERELEASE.
The advisories said to update to STABLE, so I did, and I got
4.9-PRERELEASE. That is the new 'name' for STABLE?

Thanks,
Alin.