usb digital camera

Stephen Hilton nospam at hiltonbsd.com
Fri Nov 28 13:52:39 PST 2003

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 12:02:29 -1000
Kent Hauser <kent.hauser at verizon.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Is there some trick to using USB devices? I'm trying to access my Nikon
> coolpix 5000 (latest firmware PTP mode) from 4.9-STABLE with no luck.
>
> usbdevs sees the camera, as does "gphoto2 --auto-detect". However, I'm unable
> to access the camera data with "gphoto2 --auto-detect --summary" (or via
> digikam or via konquerer). Having never done this before, I don't know if
> there is a usb config file I need to hack (usbd is running with unmodified
> usbd.conf). I've tried running as user & root and saw no change.
>
> Any help appreciated.
>
> %grep usb /var/log/messages
> Nov 23 11:56:08 hnl /kernel: usb0: <Intel 82371AB/EB (PIIX4) USB controller>
> on uhci0
> Nov 23 11:56:08 hnl /kernel: usb0: USB revision 1.0
> % usbdevs -v
> Controller /dev/usb0:
> addr 1: self powered, config 1, UHCI root hub(0x0000), Intel(0x0000), rev 1.00
>  port 1 powered
>  port 2 addr 2: self powered, config 1, NIKON DSC E5000-PTP(0x0113),
> Nikon(0x04b0), rev 1.00

Kent,

You may want to try gtkam from /usr/ports/graphics/gtkam

--------
gtkam is an universal, free GTK+ application that will allow
downloading, saving, and manipulation of images from several
different digital camera models, or from the local harddrive.

gtkam supports a wide array of digital camera models.
Visit http://www.gphoto.org/cameras.html for an updated list.

WWW: http://www.gphoto.org/gphoto2/
--------

And recheck your USB permissions in /dev.

Regards,

Stephen Hilton
nospam at hiltonbsd.com