updating make.conf for buildworld

Lowell Gilbert freebsd-questions-local at be-well.ilk.org
Wed Nov 26 06:56:45 PST 2003

David Bear <David.Bear at asu.edu> writes:

> doing my first buildworld, I have looked at /usr/src/UPDATING .. Since
> this was in install of 4.9-RELEASE I'm guessing I can fly through most
> of the stuff related to 'older' versions?  So, now I'm creating
> /etc/make.conf and the web pages says "set it to something sensible"..
> I'm not sure what is sensible for many of these things.  Some are
> obvious.

A completely empty make.conf is "sensible," so when in doubt, leave it out.

> Since I've installed postfix for my mta, I thought it would be okay to
> disable sendmail from the mix..  Otherwise, below are the items I've
> uncommented. comments appereciated.  (btw, this machine will be a web
> server, running apache and zope )
>
> CPUTYPE=i686

Okay; if you only have one machine, and are ready to bootstrap your
executables from a fresh install if you need to move to another,
that's fine.

> CFLAGS= -O -pipe

This one's worthwhile; most people should use this setting.
Probably the only setting worth worrying about for a typical user.

> BDECFLAGS=      -W -Wall -ansi -pedantic -Wbad-function-cast
> -Wcast-align \
>                 -Wcast-qual -Wchar-subscripts -Winline \
>                 -Wmissing-prototypes -Wnested-externs -Wpointer-arith
> \
>                 -Wredundant-decls -Wshadow -Wstrict-prototypes
> -Wwrite-strings

You're not using this anyway, so don't bother re-setting it.

> ENABLE_SUID_SSH=        true

Why?

Unless you have a good reason, that's a bad idea.

> NO_BIND=        true    # do not build BIND

Probably not a great idea.  Even if you're not running named, you're
probably using resolver code from there.

> NO_FORTRAN=     true    # do not build g77 and related libraries
> NO_I4B= true    # do not build isdn4bsd package
> NO_SENDMAIL=    true    # do not build sendmail and related programs
> NO_X=           true    # do not compile in XWindows support (e.g.
> doscmd)
> NOGAMES=        true    # do not build games (games/ subdir)
> NOPROFILE=      true    # Avoid compiling profiled libraries
> NOSHARE=        true    # do not go into the share subdir
> NOUUCP= true    # do not build uucp related programs

You're saving yourself a small amount of build time, but that's all.
Note that NOGAMES excludes some useful programs (not that primes(6), for
example, has changed in a long time) and NOSHARE is inadvisable unless
you really modify that stuff heavily by hand.

I'd leave these at the defaults, because you (probably) already have
the programs installed, so you may be better off with the latest
versions.

> NO_MAKEDEV=     true

This is the default anyway, no?