Piping from one printer queue to another?

Dr Lyman Hazelton lrh at alum.mit.edu
Mon Nov 24 07:13:31 PST 2003

I am trying to get a networked old HP printer to work.  I have the
following printcap entries for it, using gs filtering:

# Entry for device ljet3 (output to ljet3.raw, I hope)
lp|ljet3|Ghostscript device ljet3:\
    :lp=ljet3.raw:\
    :sd=/var/spool/output/ljet3:\
    :lf=/var/spool/output/ljet3/logfile:\
    :af=/var/spool/output/ljet3/acct:\
    :if=/usr/local/share/ghostscript/filt/indirect/ljet3/gsif:\
    :mx#0:sf:sh:rs:

and

# Entry for raw device ljet3.raw
ljet3.raw|Raw output device ljet3:\
    :lp=:\
    :rm=192.168.2.1:\
    :rp=LPT1:\
    :sd=/var/spool/output/ljet3/raw:\
    :mx#0:sf:sh:rs:

The ljet3.raw queue works perfectly!  Of course, I have to send it
either ascii with CRLFs or PCL, but it does print what I send to it.

However, the lp|ljet3 filter does not send its output on to ljet3.raw.
I am sure that I am doing something (subtle?) wrong in this entry,
but I don't know enough to find it.  Can someone either tell me
what's wrong or (better yet) point me to documentation that explains
how to do this correctly?

Thanks!

       -Lyman