Modem

Jud judmarc at fastmail.fm
Sun Nov 23 20:19:38 PST 2003

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 07:30:05 -0800, Allan Bowhill <abowhill at blarg.net>
wrote:

> On  0, Jud <judmarc at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> :The best tutorial I've seen on this remains <URL:
> :http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/bsd/2000/06/14/FreeBSD_Basics.html>.  3
> years
> :ago as a newbie it was far easier for me to understand than the
> Handbook.
> :One thing has changed in those 3 years: The user wanting to access the
> Net
> :must be a member of the 'dialer' group.
>
> Actually, the group is "network"

The article does note that membership in the 'network' group is
necessary.  But membership in the 'dialer' group is *also* necessary (at
least in 5.x - I assume from your message that it may not be necessary in
4.x), and it wasn't AFAIK at the time the article was published.  (Or
maybe that was because I was using 4.x at the time?  Oh well, maybe
someone can enlighten me here....)

> IMHO, the best resource for user ppp is still the manpage. Probably
> one of the best-written manpages there are.

I had a rough time with the man page myself.  The tutorial, instead of
providing what may be an overwhelming number of possible options to a
newbie, describes a very simple step-by-step procedure.

Jud