PHP Auth

Sergey Sysoev lists at avtf.org
Sat Nov 22 22:29:10 PST 2003

Hello Grant,

GP> Two questions....

GP>     I have been reading as much as I can find on paswwd, master.passwd,
GP> shadow, crypt etc etc etc. and am Still stuck on one point. If the encrypted
GP> password is normally aslways different, due to 'salt', then how does one get
GP> a match??

GP>     Does anyone have posession of a simple PHP script that can auth against
GP> the master passwd file?

That's function which generate md5 password, maybe it will be helpful.
I   am  not sure for 100% if this script always provide diff. password
and maybe someone can improve it :)

You may check work at http://bids.tomsk.ru/passwd.php

echo crypt_passwd("F5k");

function crypt_passwd($passwd_tmp) {
  mt_srand((double) microtime()*1000000);
  $e=pack("cCcCCccC", mt_rand(), mt_rand(), mt_rand(), mt_rand(),
                      mt_rand(), mt_rand(), mt_rand(), mt_rand());
  $enc12=base64_encode($e);
  $enc8="";
  for ($i=2; $i<=9; $i++) $enc8=$enc8.$enc12[$i];
  $passwd_crypted=crypt($passwd_tmp,$enc8);
  return $passwd_crypted;
}

To  my  mind  you'd get salt from master.passwd and than encrypt plain
password using that salt and then compare.

--
Best regards,
 Sergey