Bad power down in 5.0, missing xl0

Chris Neustrup druid45 at idiom.com
Sat Nov 22 16:06:29 PST 2003

I've got a Thinkpad T20, running 5.0 early release.  It is a dual boot
with Win98 on the other partition.  It seemed pretty strong, but I have
some problems:

1. The power down sequence seems to hose some part of the bios or
whatever.  When I shutdown and then reboot to Win98 it thinks it has
been taken down and corrupted, so it wants to come back up in SAFE mode.

2. The /dev directory no longer has an xl0 device for the mini-PCI
ethernet on the motherboard.  Completely disappeared.  Where did it go?

tia, CHris