FreeBSD, FHS, and /mnt/cdrom

Jerry McAllister jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu
Fri Nov 21 07:07:41 PST 2003

> I imagine your answer will be something like "We don't care; do what you
> want," but I would like to present the different ideas, and perhaps you
> would prefer one.
>
> So, please put these in the order of most to least preferred, and say why
> you like or dislike any of them.

Ok, Here are my addled thoughts:

Good:
> - All mount points in / (e.g. /cdrom, /camera, /windows/C)  <- current
> FreeBSD standard
     (Just come up with a nice sounding name for each)

> - Under something like /media/    as in /media/cdrom, etc
         (except the name media may become obsolete)
> - Anyplace but /mnt (i.e. what the FHS 2.2 currently specifies)
 Except not /var/  or /usr  or /home  or /tmp

Less Good:
> - All mount points in /mnt (e.g. /mnt/cdrom, /mnt/camera, /mnt/windows/C)
> <- breaks
>       FreeBSD standard for an empty /mnt

 NOT:
 These are too long and cumbersom, may contradict other usage
 Especially not /var...  as it is something else
 and /media/windows... is also too MS specific.
> - Anyplace but / or /mnt (e.g. /vol/cdrom, /var/mnt/camera,
> /media/windows/C)
>       (some suggestions have been /media, /mounts, /vol, /var/mnt,
>       and /var/tmp/removable. Others?)
> Anyplace at all
  Now, that is not much of a standard - why bother?