FreeBSD beside WinXP

Kent Stewart kstewart at owt.com
Fri Nov 21 02:10:22 PST 2003

On Friday 21 November 2003 01:30 am, ogautherot at freesurf.fr wrote:
> Kent Stewart écrit:
> > If you want to pass large files, you need something you can write to
> > from FreeBSD. You can read but not write to NTFS. I have a number of
> > multi-boot machines and I almost always have that much in one partition
> > that is FAT32.
>
> To solve the problem, I loaded WinXP in a FAT32 partition, which I
> incidently use as a temporary storage between systems when necessary.
> This way, I have only 1 MS partition...

On a single user system that is probably ok but you don't have the security
that NTFS has built into it. You make it easier one way and lose protection
in the other. I don't like the idea of a regular user having administrator
privlidges. Running as administrator on XP carries the same risk that running
as root does on Unix.

The NTFS, I think, really supports the long names that are common to the
registry and FAT32 has to use an alternate way of deal with long names. That
is why you see the funky names with embedded "~" tildes.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA