need info on hostname

Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. kdk at daleco.biz
Thu Nov 20 12:04:57 PST 2003

Quid pro quo:

I'm not an expert, and don't play one on TV.

fbsd_user wrote:

>During the install you are asked for the host name which adds the
>following line to rc.conf.
>hostname="gateway.homepc.com"
>
>What does FBSD use this for?

DNS?  Same stuff as any other system, with the
possible exception of that stuff from Redmond.

Since 'Nix is/has always been very network
oriented, this is its primary means of human
readable identification.  Or something like that ;)

>Did I use the correct format for the host name?

Yes, more or less.  Since homepc.com seems
to actually exist, this could either be a good
or bad choice, depending on whether or
not you own 'homepc.com'.  If the machine is
on a private network and will do all it's connecting
via another box, it could probably get away with
'foo.bar.baz' if you set up your DNS correctly.

>What are the rules for creating the hostname name?

See /etc/hosts.  paraphrase ---"If you're directly
connected to the internet, you can't just make it up...."

>Are the rules published anywhere?

I'd check RFC's if I was *real* concerned.

The good news?  If something about your
selected hostname is causing problems,
all you have to do (as root)

$hostname my.new.name