upgrading 4.8 to 4.9 question....

paul van den bergen pvandenbergen at swin.edu.au
Wed Nov 19 16:13:34 PST 2003

Hi All,

I'm tempted to upgrade some machines in my test network to 4.9 from 4.8 (since
the new KAME snap kits are configured to 4.9 over 4.8 now and if I want to be
fashionable and bleedy, I'd better keep updated) and so I am wondering what
the best way to do this is and anypitfalls...

OK, here is what I think I should do...

cvsup the source tree to 4.9
make world

cvsup the ports tree

um... and that's where I come unstuck...

is there a method (other than de-installing all pkgs and reisntalling) to
upgrade the ports or packages appropriately from 4.8 to 4.9?

I guess there is a gap in my knowledge here about how the freebsd software
"state" changes...  e.g. how does one avoid clashes and incompatabilities in
a large complex collection of software that is continually changing?

--
Dr Paul van den Bergen
Centre for Advanced Internet Architectures
pvandenbergen at swin.edu.au
IM:bulwynkl2002
"And some run up hill and down dale, knapping the chucky stones
to pieces wi' hammers, like so many road makers run daft.
They say it is to see how the world was made."
Sir Walter Scott, St. Ronan's Well 1824