Network messaging

Marty Landman MLandman at face2interface.com
Wed Nov 19 12:24:06 PST 2003

At 02:51 PM 11/19/2003, Feltis, Ralph C. wrote:
>Is it possible to set some type of simple messaging system between networked
>FreeBSD machines?  For example, client A pings client B, and then client B
>sends some prespecified text reply to client A.

Ralph, it's certainly possible to setup something a bit more sophisticated
using ftp and cron to store and routinely check for the presence of a file,
or in an intranet situation, e.g. if Apache is installed and both boxes
have http access you could use a CGI script. The details of the
implementation would/should be based on the detailed need which you haven't
given.

This raises a question I'm curious about which is in this scenario you
could easily run into the need for semaphores. I've run into this problem
running MS-DOS execs on networked windoz boxes (stop that snickering plz)
and could clearly see the updates stepping on each other's toes.

What is available on fbsd by way of protecting e.g. file writes? FWIW I
understand the standard flock mechanism I've used with Perl on nix servers
isn't foolproof, but surely something in the system is....?

Marty Landman   Face 2 Interface Inc 845-679-9387
Sign On Required: Web membership software for your site