non-proportional fonts for X

Malcolm Kay malcolm.kay at internode.on.net
Mon Nov 17 00:37:02 PST 2003

On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 14:35, Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:
> On Monday 17 November 2003 05:01, Harald Schmalzbauer wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > perhaps someone achieved something useful from the search for a good mail
> > font.
> > I don't like misc-fixed for mails (I use kmail) so I took courier-new
> > 9pt. But with that font the 1 and l are looking very similar with less
> > that 10pt. And 10pt is too big for me.
> > So I switched to Lucida typewriter. Readability at 9pt is quiet good but
> > I'd like to know your favourites.
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > -Harry
> >
> > Proportional lines should end with # at the same position
>
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> non-proportional of yourse (the one I'm looking for)
> Sorry!

In my opinion serif fonts look best and are easiest to read when the
resolution is high. But at low resolution non-serif are better. So for 10
pnt at 75 dpi I'd certainly use a non-serif font; and for 12 pnt
at 120 I'd certainly use a serif font.

I like to work at 120dpi on a monitor that pretty much resolves the pixels
and then my first choice is 'nimbus mono l'. It is actually coded as a

You'll find it in the fonts provided in gnu-ghostscript and can be fed
directly to the X fontlist.

Malcolm Kay