DHCP

Gerard Samuel fbsd-questions at trini0.org
Sat Nov 15 11:17:19 PST 2003

A bit off topic, but any help would be appreciated.
Im trying to setup DHCP for the first time.
I set winXP to auto configure itself in the network section, but it
still remains on the IP address that it was previously set at, and not
obeying, the range of IP Addresses listed in dhcp.conf.
The connection works, I can use the network, but looking to see if there are
any errors in dhcp.conf file.

Also, is there a way to not specify the MAC address, and have DHCP still work.
For example, say a family member comes over with their laptop, can they just
plug in and go??

Thanks for any pointers...

dhcp.conf
-----
# dhcpd.conf
#
# Sample configuration file for ISC dhcpd
#

# option definitions common to all supported networks...
option domain-name "trini0.org";
option domain-name-servers 192.168.0.2;

default-lease-time 600;
max-lease-time 7200;

# ad-hoc DNS update scheme - set to "none" to disable dynamic DNS updates.
ddns-update-style none;

subnet 192.168.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
  range 192.168.0.100 192.168.0.254;
  option routers 192.168.0.1;
}

#laptop