Mount SMB share on bootup

C. Ulrich dincht at securenym.net
Fri Nov 14 07:31:33 PST 2003

On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 15:21, Chirhart, Brian wrote:
> >> point is password protected (on the XP side) so I am prompted for a
> >> password.  How can I automate that?  Or should I create the share without
> >> password?  I am not too worried about internal security so the share
> could
> >> have no password and that would be fine.
>
> >Create a script called whatever.sh, chmod +x 755 whatever.sh and put that
> >script in a /usr/local/etc/rc.d.
>
> >Put the following lines in that script
>
> >#!/bin/sh
> >smbmount username=user password=pass and the rest of the parametars that
> you
> >are normaly using when mounting smb partition.
>
> >Mind that if your startup script for samba is samba.sh your mounting script
> >must start with a letter after the letter s otherwise you would mounting a
> >samba share without smb daemon started.
>
> ################################
>
> When I try the smbmount I get a "command not Found"
>
> I checked the man pages on mount and found mount_smbfs, but I can not find
> any options that would allow me to specify a username and password.
>
> I am not using Samba (at least I didn't load it... may be there by
> default???) - To map the drive I have a line in my /etc/fstab file that
> reads:
>
> # Device			#Mountpoint	FSType	OPtion
> //user at server/share	/ftproot	smbfs	rw.nosuto	0	0
>
> Once the server boots, I type "mount /ftproot" and then it asks me for the
> password for User.  After the password is entered, /ftproot contains the
> contents of the share on my XP system.  It was one of the things that I fell
> in love with about BSD - the ability to "see" XP shares with no special
> "magic".
>
> So anyway - I think there are several different approaches to this.  Can I
> modify my fstab file so that "auto" would work by somehow specifing a
> password?  Or is there a password option that I am missing in the mount or
> mount_smbfs commands?  OR...  is there a reason I don't have the smbmount
> command?
>
> Thank you for all your help!

I saw that you got a couple responses to this, but they were just a bit
off from the "correct" way to do it. Edward came very close, so I'm just
going to expand upon what he said. First, If I recall correctly, the
smbfs.sh that goes in /usr/local/etc/rc.d was somehow accidentally left
out of the release. If you don't have it, you can get it here:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/contrib/smbfs/examples/smbfs.sh.sample

Click on the "Download" link for the newest version. It's probably
better to use this version instead of a home-made one so that you don't
run into problems down the road. (Don't forget to nuke the "sample"
extension.)

Your /etc/fstab is fine, but you should move /etc/nsmb.conf to
/root/.nsmbrc. If you consult mount_smbfs(8), you'll see that this is
where mount_smbfs expects it to be. Plus, keeping it here affords you a
little bit better security. (Double-check that it's readable/writable by
root ONLY!)

Finally, you should obfuscate the password with "smbutil crypt". This is
NOT encryption, it will only protect the password from being discovered
by casual observation. You should still treat it as plaintext, even in
obfuscated form, as the "encryption" is almost as trivial to crack as
rot13.

Good luck!

Charles Ulrich