Nroff error

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Tue Nov 11 12:41:05 PST 2003

On Tue, Nov 11, 2003 at 03:28:03PM -0500, Forrest Aldrich wrote:
> Can someone explain what this error might be:
>
> nroff -man nasm.1 > nasm.man
> troff: fatal error: can't find macro file tty-char
> *** Error code 1
>
> Long-standing issue on the system I'm using -- it affects usage of manpages
> (they don't work).  Can't figure it out...

Do you have the file /usr/share/tmac/tty-char.tmac installed, and does
it have the correct ownership and permissions so that the nroff user
can access it?

    % ls -lad /usr/share/tmac/tty-char.tmac /usr/share/tmac
    drwxr-xr-x  4 root  wheel  1536 Sep 16 21:22 /usr/share/tmac/
    -r--r--r--  1 root  wheel  5102 Sep 16 21:22 /usr/share/tmac/tty-char.tmac

If you have an up-to-date source tree there should be a copy in
/usr/src/contrib/groff/tmac/tty-char.tmac If copying that into place
doesn't work, then I'd recommend going through a complete
{build,install}{world,kernel} cycle to make sure you've got everything
that should be in the base system.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way