Another Newbie Question: C or C++

Alex Kelly alexkelly at adelphia.net
Mon Nov 10 15:23:23 PST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jerry McAllister" <jerrymc at clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To: "Alex Kelly" <alexkelly at adelphia.net>
Cc: <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
Sent: Monday, November 10, 2003 6:14 PM
Subject: Re: Another Newbie Question: C or C++

> > I need to buy a book on C or C++ to help me in FreeBSD.
> > Which would be better to buy?
>
> This doesn't answer your C++ part of the question, but you should have
> the Kernighan & Ritchie "The C Programming Language" and then
> get something like "C A Reference Manual"  (Latest edition is 5th I think)
> by Harbison and Steele.    After that you might look at "C Programming
FAQs"
> by Steve Summit.

Thanks, Jerry.
So, it sounds like I should probably tackle C before C++.
By the way, I saw the first two books you mentioned in Borders Book Store
today while on my lunch break. They must be fairly popular.

> > I first thought a book on C would be best, because the OS is written in
C. But, now I'm not sure because I read that gcc can compile C++ too (so,
I'm assuming C++ must get used too).