Anymore help out there? Re: mail never gets sent

chip.wiegand at simrad.com chip.wiegand at simrad.com
Mon Nov 10 12:06:14 PST 2003

Charles Swiger <cswiger at mac.com> wrote on 11/07/2003 06:17:57 AM:

> On Nov 6, 2003, at 6:32 PM, chip.wiegand at simrad.com wrote:
> >
> > Tried that, it just sits on
> >
> > simradusa# telnet mx4.mail.yahoo.com smtp
> > Trying 216.136.129.5...
> >
> > and never connects.
>
> OK, so you can be reasonably sure your ISP is blocking port 25.  You
> will probably need to configure your mail server to relay via your ISPs
> SMTP server instead-- change the SMART_HOST definition in
> /etc/mail/freebsd.mc and do a "make restart" in /etc/mail, and see
> whether that helps...
>
> --
> -Chuck

Thanks Chuck, and the others with the same suggestion. I've set that
parameter in the freebsd.mc file and still have the same problem. I ssh'd
into my current web server box, running RedHat, and sent a message from
the cli mail and watched the messages, and did the same on the FreeBSD box
(which will replace the Linux box soon as mail works). Look at the two
sections below, notice the lines 250 in each section - they are the
reverse of each other. The message sent from the Linux box went through to
its destination, but not the message from the FreeBSD box. The Linux box
had no configuring done to make it send mail out. I have set up previous
versions of FreeBSD, all the way back to 3.0, and have never had to do any
configuring to get any to send mail out. It has always just worked,
including a previous setup here in this office connected to the same
network. So I'm wondering what has changed in 5.1 to cause this problem,
if anything. Or is it just a bad install?
----
On the Linux box -
====
[root at simradusa root]# mail -v -s test chip.wiegand at simrad.com
just a test from linux.
.
Cc:
chip.wiegand at simrad.com... Connecting to [127.0.0.1] via relay...
220 localhost.localdomain ESMTP Sendmail 8.12.8/8.12.8; Fri, 7 Nov 2003
09:23:56 -0800
>>> EHLO localhost.localdomain
250-localhost.localdomain Hello simradusa [127.0.0.1], pleased to meet you
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
====
Now for the FreeBSD box -
====
simradusa# mail -v -s test freebsd-test at freebsd.org
just a test from a new 5.1 box.
.
EOT
freebsd-test at freebsd.org... Connecting to [127.0.0.1] via relay...
220 simradusa.com ESMTP Sendmail 8.12.9/8.12.9; Fri, 7 Nov 2003 09:02:32
-0800 (PST)
>>> EHLO simradusa.com
250-simradusa.com Hello localhost.simrad.com [127.0.0.1], pleased to meet
you
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES