Compaq 1850R panics with 5.x

Olaf Hoyer ohoyer at gaff.hhhr.ision.net
Mon Nov 10 11:07:34 PST 2003

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003, Guy Silliman wrote:

> I am trying to get a Compaq 1850R running.  It is a dual PII 400MHz
> machine that works fine with Win2k server... but
> I would prefer to use fbsd 5.x but I am stumped by this panic at
> sysinstall.

Hi!

Well, the old Compaqs have some quite rough edges, and 5.1R (or do you
use a -current snapshot?) is also in some things not that nice...
Sometimes you have to set it to NT4-OS Type.

> I have searched all the lists and have tried several fixes mentioned
> including the "Full table - Mapped" and OS set to Win2k in the BIOS.
> I have tried disabling the onboard NIC as a possible source of conflicts
> but no luck.

I had in my former company a 1850 running SMP with a 4.8-stable.
The onboard SCSI is basically a Symbios one, and it was recognized
without hassle.

(Ok, it needs the compaq tool partition to do RAID stuff, but... well,
broke it during installation)

> I would be willing to go with a late 4.x but it does not probe the
> onboard SCSI  thus I have no drives.
> I do have a Smart Array 3200 ordered and coming - this may solve the 4.x
> issue, but I am puzzled by the panic with 5.x.

That ist strange indeed, my box (dual PIII-500) went fine.
But perhaps there is also a different Mainboard in, with some
undocumented change in  the series.

HTH
Olaf

Olaf Hoyer        ohoyer at gaff.hhhr.ision.net
Fuerchterliche Erlebniss geben zu raten,
ob der, welcher sie erlebt, nicht etwas Fuerchterliches ist.
(Nietzsche, Jenseits von Gut und Boese)