Enemy Territory

Karel J. Bosschaart K.J.Bosschaart at tue.nl
Mon Nov 10 01:11:28 PST 2003

On Sun, Nov 09, 2003 at 10:55:38PM +0100, Robin Schoonover wrote:
> On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 16:40:30 -0500, Anish Mistry <mistry.7 at osu.edu>
> wrote:
> >
> > This is what I have installed, and Enemy Territory runs fine for me.
> Are
> > you sure you have glx loaded in your XF86Config file?  I'm using a
> > Geforce2MX 400 with the nvidia driver.
> >

> On a slightly related note, I've been trying to run some of the linux
> loki
> demos under FreeBSD.  All work (plus heretic II, which has software
> rendering), except the ones labeled "3d Acceleration".  The ones labeled
> "3d Acceleration" tend to crash X.
>
> One thing I've noticed is when X is started it displays:
> (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to load GLX
>
> It appears to be finding the GLX stuff, but when it tries to load it, it
> can't.  If it helps any, I have a 'GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X'.

Games are running fine for me with the Nvidia driver and a GeForce4 Ti4200,
on a -stable system. Below is a list I made some time ago with the games
I can run successfully, with some notes. 'pcm' denotes the native FreeBSD
sound driver, 'OSS' the (commercial) driver by Opensound. I have plans to
make a website with this info as well as install notes and a forum for
asking questions; I don't know though if there is a lot of need for this.
Some time ago, the forum at swissgeeks closed down soon due to lack of
interest. Personally, I'd like some chit-chat about gaming on FreeBSD :-).

Karel.

2003-09-09 Linux games on FreeBSD

Hardware: Athlon 1.4 GHz, Asus A7M266, 512 MB RAM, GeForce4 Ti 4200 128MB, onboa
rd sound CMI8738.
OS      : FreeBSD 4.x (currently 4.9-PRERELEASE)

Game                                Version       pcm      OSS    remarks

America's Army                      1.7.0 (*)     yes      yes
Descent 3                           1.4   (*)     yes      yes
Duke Nukem 3D Atomic Edition                      yes      yes    feels slowish.
Heretic II                          1.06a         yes      yes    version on CD
                                                                  fails with sig11, updates fixed it.
Quake 3 Arena                       1.32b         yes      no

Rune                                1.07          lag(1)   yes
Serious Sam, The First Encounter    1.05 (beta3)  yes      yes
Sin Demo                            1.10          yes      no     Fullscreen wit
h Nvidia driver flashes, windowed OK.
Soldier of Fortune                  1.06j         lag(2)   yes
Unreal I                                          yes             using UT engin
e, changed ALAudio to Generic (3)

Unreal I: Return to Na Pali                       yes             using UT engin
e, changed ALAudio to Generic
Unreal Tournament                   4.36          yes      no
Unreal Tournament 2003              2225          yes      yes    used to have s
ound lag with pcm?
Urban Terror (Q3 Total Conversion)  beta 3.0      yes      no     main menu some
times garbled.
RTCW Single Player Demo             1.1b          yes      no

RTCW: Enemy Territory               2.55          yes      no

* update available
1 process rune-bin in pcmsyn after exit
2 exit screen stays with process sof-bin in pcmsyn.
3 Exits when entering 'Dark Arena' level. Workaround: unreal --nosound
  ( Unsupported rate: 18918 )