JAIL can't FTP ports?

Chris bsdnewbie at coolarrow.com
Sat Nov 8 17:31:22 PST 2003

While logged into a jail (running on a public IP address), I can SSH into it and run /stand/sysinstall. I choose the options to install a port or package via FTP, and I end up with a message like "No network devices available"

I found a year-and-a-half-old post that mentioned sysinstall trying to use low level calls, and jails not allowing low level calls. While I really don't understand exactly what that means, I guess it brings up the questions:

1) Can I use FTP to install ports or packages without going through sysinstall?
2) If not, is there any other way to get the entire ports collection into the jail, without actually being at the console?

And if I create a jail from a system with no ports, does that mean the jail will have no ports? And if my system has the entire ports collection installed, will a new jail also have them?

Thanks again,
Chris