sftp mount?

Lewis Thompson purple at lewiz.net
Fri Nov 7 07:01:28 PST 2003

On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 05:56:43PM +0300, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
> * Lewis Thompson <purple at lewiz.net> [20031107 17:28]: wrote:
> > At my university everything is firewalled and the only way I can
> > transfer files to/from my account is to use sftp -- but that gets quite
> > painful after a while.
>
> What do you mean by quite painful? sftp should be very easy to use

Yeah, it is fairly easy to use but it's still annoying to be doing it.
In reality what I want is to edit the remote files directly.  I don't
want to be copying back/forth.  It can't really be automated either,
since I'm not doing the same task over and over.

> Basically you have to ask the folks administering your systems if they
> allow NFS and I doubt it already.

No, they don't.  Pretty much the only thing allowed is ssh/sftp.

> > Or can anybody suggest any other way I might achieve something similar?
> > Bear in mind I am actually restricted to sftp/ssh.
>
> Forget your ideas. Tell us what it is that you want to be doing.

I want my remote home directory (available just by ssh) to be
transparently available from a local directory :P

  Thanks very much,

-lewiz.

--
I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.  --Bob Dylan, 1964.
-| msn:purple at lewiz.net | jabber:lewiz at jabber.org | url:www.lewiz.org |-