make dev problems

Tim Aslat tim at spyderweb.com.au
Thu Nov 6 13:32:41 PST 2003

In the immortal words of "Jason Burris" <spidey at oldskool.com>...
> I need to compile a kernel with IPFW on a remote machine running
> FreeBSD4.7.  I followed the steps listed at:
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig-building.html

Following the handbook isn't a bad start.

> In my COMPUTERNAME config file I've add the following three lines to
> the end for IPFW:
>
> options IPFIREWALL
> options IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE
> options IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT
>
> And I changed this line, which I read was necessary:
>
> ident COMPUTERNAME

Not bad, but a more secure way would be to default to deny rather than
accept, but that's personal preference.

> I'm able to run:
>
> /usr/sbin/config COMPUTERNAME
> cd ../../compile/COMPUTERNAME
>
> When I run
>
> make depend
>
> Everything runs fine until it dies with the error:
>
> make: don't know how to make iconv.h.
> Stop*** Error code 2
> Stop in /usr/src/sys/modules.***
> Error code 1
>
> I've checked and this file is in my /usr/src/sys directory.What am I
> doing wrong?  Do I even need this header to be compiled intothe
> kernel?

You might want to try the "newer" method of building a kernel.

cd /usr/src
make buildkernel KERNCONF=COMPUTERNAME
<wait a bit>
make installkernel KERNCONF=COMPUTERNAME

Cheers

Tim

--
Tim Aslat <tim at spyderweb.com.au>