make dev problems

Jason Burris spidey at oldskool.com
Thu Nov 6 13:27:28 PST 2003

I'm new to FreeBSD so please bear with me if I ask a dumb question.

I need to compile a kernel with IPFW on a remote machine running
FreeBSD4.7.  I followed the steps listed at:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/kernelconfig-building.html

In my COMPUTERNAME config file I've add the following three lines to
the end for IPFW:

options IPFIREWALL
options IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE
options IPFIREWALL_DEFAULT_TO_ACCEPT

And I changed this line, which I read was necessary:

ident COMPUTERNAME

I'm able to run:

/usr/sbin/config COMPUTERNAME
cd ../../compile/COMPUTERNAME

When I run

make depend

Everything runs fine until it dies with the error:

make: don't know how to make iconv.h.
Stop*** Error code 2
Stop in /usr/src/sys/modules.***
Error code 1

I've checked and this file is in my /usr/src/sys directory.What am I
doing wrong?  Do I even need this header to be compiled intothe
kernel?

Thanks.

:wq!
Jason