Trouble using the "man" subsystem

Forrest Aldrich forrie at forrie.com
Thu Nov 6 10:52:30 PST 2003

I posted about this a while ago.

For some time, I've had a broken manpage system on my FreeBSB
box.  Currently, it's at FreeBSD-4.9.

The symptoms are:  sometimes I get an error about not being able to locate
tmac for tty-char.  Though I can find that in /usr/local/share/groff,
etc.   Most times, I will do "man command" and the prompt just
returns.  Nothing, nada.

I'm absolutely puzzled, because a reinstall (makeworld/buildworld) does NOT
resolve the problem.    I cannot see there to be any odd environment
variables, however this suggests there may be a configuration issue
"somewhere".    I'm out of ideas, and wonder if anyone out there has
suggestions about where to look, how to fix this.

Thanks,
Forrest