freebsd-questions Digest, Vol 33, Issue 6

J. Seth Henry jshamlet at comcast.net
Wed Nov 5 08:22:39 PST 2003

Actually, I have noted this same issue, and both points are correct.

I have a Compaq IA-1 internet terminal which I converted into an X terminal.
The hardware (was) unmodified, and ran WinCE with no active cooling at all.
The little machine was perfectly stable, and in fact was designed to never
completely power down - but instead enter a sleep state when the power button
was pressed.

I then ran Midori Linux on the system (my first attempt at an X terminal), but
the X server and mouse driver had some serious issues. Nevertheless, the
hardware didn't lock up or crash.

I then loaded FreeBSD 4.8-REL on the box, and it started locking up right and
left. Eventually, I added a cooling fan/ heatsink to the AMD K6-2 CPU, and
the lockups were greatly reduced. (they still occur, but only under duress).
Keep in mind, all I changed was the OS - the bus clock and multiplier didn't
change. Eventually, I installed a K6-III+ mobile processor, and now I very
rarely get lockups - but it does run noticeably warmer.

This isn't just on AMD hardware, either. I have a dual PIII server that
suffers the same problem. It runs at least 4-5 degC cooler under RedHat Linux
(doing the same chores) than it does under 4.8-REL. However, it is a much
better built system than the IA-1, and doesn't crash, although the cooling is
so loud that I've been tempted to put Linux back on it just to get rid of
some of the fans.

The fact is, FreeBSD, for some reason, causes hardware to run hotter. Perhaps
it is a difference in the idle routine, perhaps it is more "active" about
checking hardware - I'm no kernel expert. However, this *IS* an issue. For
those who don't believe the OS can drive the power requirements of a system,
think again. I installed a SmartUPS on my network, and monitored the load on
the power supply. Yep - it increased running FreeBSD versus Windows2k.

However, I feel that FreeBSD is, overall, a superior operating system. There
is no way I would go back to the hell that is linux - much less Win2k. As
such, I just do a little more homework when buying hardware.

Regards,
Seth Henry

On Tuesday 04 November 2003 13:42, freebsd-questions-request at freebsd.org